Monday, April 13, 2015

Study Focus: Communication

What does a good communicator do?

Who are the skilled communicators in your midst?

I've noted in multiple posts that good communication is one of the most important skills in our world today. The ability to convey a point of view, collaborate successfully, reflect, and reach good resolve or new solutions matters in our ever changing, interdependent world.

When communication is challenged, the systems and work that depends on that communication are challenged too.

Hence, I want to learn more.

I started this journey by reading Getting to Yes, Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In. Next I'll read Nonviolent Communication, A Language of Life and Getting Past No, Negotiating in Difficult Situations. I also want to read Pink's book,  To Sell is Human, The Surprising Truth about Moving Others and Choice Words, How Our Words Affect Students' Learning.


Writing about study like this motivates the work. The blog post holds me accountable. In the end, I hope that I'll cull many essential points to forward my own practice as well as points to integrate into my teaching repertoire in order to help students develop positive, empowering communication skills.

In the back of my mind, I'm also thinking about the fact that Finland is moving away from traditional subjects. It could be that communication becomes a subject area title rather than writing since communication includes speaking, writing, debate, multimedia composition, drama, and more.

That's something else I'll think about as I embark on this study.

If you have further resources, let me know. I'm looking forward to the learning.