Friday, May 06, 2016

Listen to Educators

For too long, too few have listened to educators.

Today as I listened to an educator tell a story about his school (not in my district), I realized that he was portraying a real problem that his school faces--a problem that needs attention, and a problem that many are not paying attention to.

He noted that this problem has been happening in his school for many years. As he spoke, I thought of several possible ways that problem could be remedied, but I could tell that the teacher felt powerless in the situation. It was obvious that he felt that he couldn't speak to systemwide leaders to do what was necessary to make positive change in this regard.

It's essential that leaders listen to teachers and work with them to solve the problems that truly stand in the way of what's possible in schools in order to serve every child well.