Saturday, April 06, 2013

When Do You Take Notice?

There are many times that I take notice and I am inspired:
  • I take notice when I see positive student affect.
  • I take notice when I see students engaged, happy, curious and wanting more.  
  • I take notice when I see terrific gains in progress of essential skills. 
  • I take notice when I hear parents' compliments.  
  • I take notice when I'm challenged to do a better job. 
  • I take notice when it is new learning.
  • I take notice when I see strong relationships and commitment.
  • I take notice when I see creativity, learning and craft that inspires me. 
There are also times when I take notice and I am not inspired:
  • I take notice when it's cumbersome and distances one from student learning and engagement.
  • I take notice when it is not supported by research?  
  • I take notice when it demeans or diminishes students or teachers.  
  • I take notice when it's repeated with no effect. 
  • I take notice when time, communication and support are lacking, inequitable or inadequate.
It's not a perfect world, but it is interesting to take the time to think about what you notice, and what serves to inspire or discourage. Further, if you take it the next step you will work so that your craft and effort serve to inspire rather than discourage too--a challenge worth reaching for.