Monday, April 01, 2013

Inspiring Weekly Memo?

I was hoping to open up my email to an inspirational message about the week ahead--a message that summarizes the events of the past week and wakens me to the events of this week with intent and focus.  That kind of message serves to bond a community and provide a common purpose and lens.  I know there have been important meetings in my midst as I've heard about them in the hallways, and I'm curious about the decisions and steps to come.  I like to be ready, feel like a part of the community and think about decisions and issues before they become a reality.

I've written about this before, and I'm reminded of this again.  My husband's former leader used to send out a message like this once a week.  With a mix of story, agenda and spirit, he brought the community together and served to inspire my husband and his organization.  The notes were so thoughtful, caring and inspiring that my husband would often come home and share the newsletter with me.

Who inspires you each week, day or month? Who do you look for for that predictable dose of inspiration, challenge and outlook--the kind that moves you to do your best work, reach high and contribute.  Seth Godin's posts inspire me daily on a deep, broad level as his posts speak to the world, not specifically to my organization.  I'm also inspired by numerous bloggers and tweeters in my PLN.

What are your thoughts about the weekly, monthly or daily organizational memo?  Is it necessary?  Do you believe that this kind of message serves to build and bond a community?  What is the best interval?

As I think of this, I will take the time to write a short note to my small classroom community.  I'll also seek out a bit of  inspiration from my PLN as I begin the week ahead.  In the meantime, I look forward to your thoughts and ideas related to this topic.