Monday, April 01, 2013

Sensational City Year!

On Saturday night I went to a wonderful fund raiser for City Year New Hampshire.  My husband's organization supports City Year and that's why I had the chance to attend the lively, positive event at the beautiful Wentworth by the Sea hotel located on New Hampshire's seacoast.

City Year's Whole School Whole Child matches current research and study related to teaching children well.  The commitment, care and energy that the young volunteers bring to schools with considerable need are outstanding and necessary.  The gains made are inspiring.

I believe that this program has tremendous potential for growth as not only does the program serve children in need, but the program also serves young adults too by offering a peaceful and productive way to serve their country and learn at the same time. It is a perfect post-high school or post-college endeavor for the right young adults.

If you're looking for an organization to support with donations small and large, I recommend City Year.  Also if you work in a system with great need, I suggest you look to City Year as one solution with regard to supporting your students with strength.  As a veteran teacher of 27 years who has been exposed to numerous ideas and actions related to education reform, it seems to me that City Year is one of the best ideas I've witnessed.  I hope you'll make the time to learn more, and let me know about your thoughts and ideas regarding this organization.