Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Big think is a good complement to routine tasks

Today I'm engaging in a lot of routine tasks--rather dull tasks, but important tasks with regard to the the study those tasks promote.

I like to pair big think with dull tasks--I like to be thinking about the bigger questions of my life and work as I complete routine tasks. What big think questions will complement those tasks today?

Preparing for departure
In three years, I'll leave the teaching profession. I want to leave the best of what I've done in ways that are easy for my colleagues to access and use. Therefore I'll be thinking about how to best organize those resources. I'll also give away or throw away the less valuable resources I've accumulated, resources that are outdated or no longer connected to the main work I do.

Streamlining the learning environment
I want less things in the learning environment as less things will mean less items to take care of and more time for caring for students in important ways.

Learning more
Good teaching means learning more about the main subjects I teach: math and science.

Next steps
I'll likely do work that involves greater creativity, writing, and research after I leave the day-to-day teaching. I'll be thinking more about what that exactly means. I will also likely find myself working with children who need greater attention in some way too. In so many ways, working to help and support children is life's greatest teacher.

Onward.