Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Establishing routines is tiring, but important work

I was very tired when I returned home from school yesterday. That surprised me as it had been a good day. Typically a good day is energizing. I spoke to my sister who is also an educator, and she reminded me that establishing routines or training is tedious, hard work. She's right!

I'm making more time to establish the kinds of routines that lead to student independence and a strong learning community, and to establish those routines means paying close attention to students' needs, questions, and confusion.

I'll go in today with an eye on the most important routines including the following:

Morning Greeting
I've been greeting students at the door and encouraging them to read the schedule.

Reading the Schedule
Having the schedule ready so students can independently complete the morning tasks and know what to expect during the day.

Respond To and Ask Questions
Making time several times a day to simply stop to respond to questions and ask questions such as, "Does anyone have any questions? Is there anything you need to succeed?"

Sign In, Lunch Count, and Attendance
Students sign in, note what they want for lunch.

Morning Work
Students begin the day with a specific task at their tables.

Math Routine
Read the schedule, engage in the introduction, work on the learning task, clean up, share, and a "math commercial" - friendly math learning video, sign, or other last thoughts.

Clean-up
Students clean up their work spaces, get their bags, and meet for a closing circle.

Once the routines are well established, we'll have more time for the rich learning experiences possible.