Thursday, April 11, 2019

Right math practice makes better



Right practice makes better. This is not surprising to anyone. To do well, you have to practice. However, sometimes curriculum programs do not provide the time or good exercises that result in right practice, and that's when students don't learn as well as they can.

What is right practice when it comes to math learning and teaching?

I will lead the conversation outlined above today at the ATMIM conference at my alma mater, The College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts. I'm looking forward to leading this discussion because I want to hear about teachers' thoughts, research, and experience related to math practice: When is the practice just right? How much time does it take? What research supports your practice decisions? How do you communicate this with students, colleagues, and families?

Last year, a careful analysis of learners' results demonstrated to me that those who practiced regularly did better when it came to mastering math standards. That conclusion made me think about ways that I could elevate and better practice opportunities for students. I tried many new structures this year to promote this practice and have found the efforts to be successful though there's still room for growth, and that's why I look forward to sharing what I've learned as well as the questions that remain.

I also look forward to attending some great presentations today including the keynote and the workshops below (including my own). I'm sure I'll write about the learning once the day is done.