Thursday, March 07, 2019

The challenge to do better drives me

The direction of betterment continually inspires me--betterment gets me out of bed in the morning and energizes the work I do. The satisfaction with making better, developing, and growing is awesome. My life is better because of the efforts of so many who worked for betterment--my life is better because of the people who worked for these changes in culture:
  • prevention of diseases and violence
  • better public education
  • special education so loved ones w/special education needs got the attention they deserve
  • less poverty
  • better health care particularly health care for women
  • respect for differences, less prejudice
  • equity in women's sports--so many young girls are fully engaged in athletics which was not part of girls' lives when I was young and is so positive for young women today
  • inviting, inspiring public lands and recreation sites
  • clean water, clean air, clean soil
  • good unions that ensure optimal work conditions and fair salaries
  • research that leads to new inventions, ideas, and ways of living that are more positive, enriching
  • greater equity, less prejudice and oppression
  • good consumer laws, less cheating and abuse
  • wonderful arts and recreation
There's so much work for betterment that I'm not even aware of and I take for granted. Over time good people have sacrificed much to make better and to elevate the lives of people. This is good. 

The search and work for betterment is never ending; there is always more we can do to improve our society so that people live better. This is good work to do and better work when we do it together.

In my own sphere this means working with colleagues to elevate the work we do to teach well and to help students in ways that inspire their best learning and living today and into the future.

At home it means helping my own family members access the supports, education, and opportunities to increase their skill and ability to serve themselves and others in order to live well.

This endless list of opportunity and good work is what keeps me going and gives my life meaning and right challenge. This is a good aim of life, one that brings much more satisfaction than a me-first, self-serving, survival of the fittest doctrine that too many leaders and others promote today.