Thursday, February 14, 2019

Let it go

There are areas where we have capacity and areas where we don't have capacity. At times those areas where we are essentially powerless gnaw at us. Of course, we could try to build capacity in those ares, but sometimes it's not worth the tremendous effort that is required to do that, and instead it's best to let it go, let it be, and focus our work and time on other matters.

This is particularly important at the end of our careers. There will be many decisions that will impact schools far beyond the years when you'll be there. Your voice dims a bit because of this reality--why should people listen to you at the end of your career as they'll be the ones to carry on. In most cases, your voice is most respected in areas where people are looking for help and support. For me, that's essentially the areas of school life that have the most to do with the day-to-day teaching of students--the good work that helps a child and makes their day positive.

So as I enter the last years of my teaching career, it's clear that there are areas that I'll have to let go--areas that are beyond me and areas where my voice is not welcome. It's important not to get too worried about this as it's a natural progression of events and an expected consequence of the end of your career. So rather than holding on, worrying, or reacting, it's essential that I coach myself to focus on what really matters--the day-to-day teaching/learning with respect to the students and my colleagues and forego those areas where I have little clout or voice anyways. Onward.