Friday, December 07, 2018

Problem Solving and Process

Reference Note that I've heard that this quote is not a true Einstein quote--I'll have to do more research to figure out the truth of the matter.

We err when we don't spend enough time thinking about problems. We err when we rush to solution. I'm sure we can all think of times when we've done that.

As I work with students to solve math problems, I am always slowing them down to use good thinking, analysis, and strategy before they rush to solution. We can see that Einstein affirmed this in his quote above.

Yesterday I listened to colleagues describe a current problem. Then I did a little research about the problem. So far, my analysis points me in the direction that too many tried to rush to solution with regard to that problem rather than taking the time needed to think it through, work with others, and come to a better solution.

As I think of problems of practice I am encountering at this time, I am thinking about this quote too. What do I need to do to think deeply about these problems on my own and with others to truly come up with a good solution?

Yesterday at our student service meeting we discussed a problem of practice. Our discussion led to two new initiatives we'll try to better serve students. One involves an indoor recess choice once a week for students who would rather stay inside than go outside for their break. Another involves a deeper effort to combine social skills and math learning with greater coaching. This will likely involve some good math games, problem solving, and projects to build both collaborative skill and math skill at the same time. It took us quite a bit of conversation before we decided to try these relatively low-risk ideas to support students well.

Other problems of practice that I'm working on right now include the following:
  • Providing just-right challenge and support for a few students who desire a different approach to math learning.
  • Providing more feedback to every child (this is mostly a time challenge).
  • Improving the integration of math/science practices in meaningful, beneficial ways.
  • Embedding more project work into the math curriculum.
  • Embedding more performance assessments into the math curriculum.
  • Supporting the move to an even better teaching/learning schedule next year.
  • Advocating for good time and structure for meaningful professional learning in and out of school.
  • Generally continued efforts to deepen and improve my craft as a an educator. 
As you can tell from my tireless reflection, I love the process of reflection that leads to betterment, a process that puts substantial time towards the problems we face with regard to the goal of teaching well.