Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Professional Promise and Regrets

As a supervising practitioner I share both the good news and not so good news with my student teacher. Yesterday as I looked over my career, I shared a few professional regrets I have with the student teacher and told her, in hindsight, what I would do instead. In general, I think it's best if we are always professional in the work place. I also think it's important to keep some distance between one's personal life and professional life. While we can bring a family-like respect, kindness, and care to the work place, our work places are not our families, but instead the places where we come together to do work that matters as well as we can. I wish someone had given me this advice when I began my professional career. If I had received that advice, I don't think I would have some of the regrets I have. Onward.