Thursday, September 13, 2018

Readiness and Details: Teaching Well 2018-2019

This is a year of digging into the details that make classroom teaching successful. Each year every class inspires different details for success. Details I'll focus on in the days ahead include the following:

Student Checklists
As we exchanged information with our dynamic fourth grade team yesterday, it was clear that they tracked each child's efforts with checklists and other efforts. They knew who needs extra encouragement to get their assignments done, and who readily completes work. Part of good teaching is coaching students to dig in and complete their work. That's one way that children learn. I plan to create a checklist notebook so I can track students' efforts in an easy way.

Mailboxes
We're receiving a fair number of hand-outs for children, and I'll use a set of small drawers I have as mailboxes. We'll label the drawers and introduce the mailboxes.

Student Information Area
A magnetic board located above the mailboxes will be used for student information such as the lunch menu, schedule, and more.

Posters
I have a number of inspirational and informative posters that I'll continue to strategically hang up around the classroom.

Supplies
I'll work to reorganize the supplies to make those supplies readily available to students.

Indoor Recess Supplies
I'll create an indoor recess list and shelf that students can reference and use when making indoor recess choices on inclement days.

Teachers put a lot of time into their classroom set-up and organization in order to give students apt responsibility, choice, and access in classroom life. All of these details matter to good teaching and learning.