|We'll play How Close to 100 in the early days of the school year.|
The weekly math routine will include the following:
- Monday: Teaching/learning activities - taught in math block.
- Tuesday: Collect homework, review That Quiz practice, continue w/core program - taught in math block.
- Wednesday: Pass back homework, assign new homework, continue w/core program - taught in math block.
- Thursday: Teaching/Learning activities - taught in math block.
- Friday: Students begin with math tech menu, complete w/teacher check-in review with individuals and/or whole class. Taught by all fifth grade teachers.
- Year starts with a focus on jump starting Symphony Math Activities and Assessments
- Then the year follows the RTI protocol as determined by the math team
- Homework packets assigned on Wednesdays
- Homework collected and passed back on Tuesdays
Kindergarten/First Grade Buddy Math
- Fifth graders engage buddies in hands-on math activities related to the a unit of study the fifth grade is studying at a kindergarten/first grade level. This gives fifth graders an opportunity to be math teachers.
The math lessons to come include the following starting on the first transition day:
- Thursday, September 6: Names, collecting summer homework, Create math class norms, math study spaces/groups and routines for the math classroom.
- Friday, September 7: History of people: introduction to timelines. History of people, skin shade, timeline - "The past affects the future." video
- Monday, September 10: No school
- Tuesday, September 11: Review norms, introduce and begin Name Value activity
- Wednesday, September 12: Introduce Math Reflection Journal (in 3-prong folder). Complete part of the assignment together and assign the rest due Tuesday 9/17. Work on Name Value activity.
- Thursday, September 13: Complete What's Your Name name value activity. Students who are done work on Symphony Math.
- Friday, September 14: Symphony Math practice, follow-up goal setting with Symphony Math.
- Monday, September 17: Systemwide Assessment if ready. Possible facts assessment.
- Tuesday, September 18: Collect Homework. Review That Quiz and let students practice.
- Wednesday, September 19th: No School
- Thursday, September 20th: Pattern exercise. Pass out next week's homework, pass back last week's homework.
- Friday, September 21st: Boaler "Everyone can learn math" Ted Talk. Making Mini posters about a positive math mindset. (Teacher professional day)
- Monday, September 24: warm-up on facts and arrays: playing a math game
- Tuesday, September 25: Review order of operations with "How Many Ways Can We Make 48?" Pick up/pass back homework.
- Wednesday, September 26: Introduce new homework. Introduce unit one: Place Value
- Thursday, Place Unit continues
- Friday, September 27th: Field Trip
- Follow Standards-Based Scope and Sequence in days ahead using systemwide scope and sequence, unit guides, Boaler's grade five book, and other resources.
- Sunflower Glyphs
- Time Line 1-11; interview and make 1-6 timelines with kindergartners
- Place value finger activity