Monday, May 21, 2018

Appreciate the Gifts People Bring

We sometimes want people to be something they are not--our expectations are not realistic for some people. Instead of appreciating their good work and great gifts, we look for something that is not there.

As I think of the collaborative goals and efforts ahead, I want to warn myself not to look for skills and abilities that people don't have or are not interested in and instead appreciate what they do bring to the table. That's the same kind of sensitivity I would hope for from the people I work with too. We all know that we don't have all gifts, skills, and abilities yet we all do bring significant value to the teams we work with--we want our team members sensitivity with regard to that, and we need to bring the same sensitivity to the colleagues we work with too.