Saturday, February 10, 2018

Leading Self: Overcoming Your Greatest Challenges

As I hone in on my greatest teaching/learning challenges today--challenges so personal that I'm not ready to give them print on a page, I'm thinking about how to overcome those challenges.

I do love a good challenge! I also know that the first step in overcoming a challenge is definition, and if you are able to define that challenge publicly, your chances of overcoming it are even greater.

Though I'm not ready to publicly define this challenge, I've defined it privately and I am now thinking of how to reach growth in this area.

First, I'll clear a path to make time and effort towards this aim. When we have challenges we want to meet and we don't make time to succeed, then we can't expect success. To meet a big challenge, you have to pave the way.

Next, I'll make space to reflect on that challenge. Why does it occur? What can I do to make change in this arena? How can I lead myself forward? I have great resources to work with--in fact, amazing resources available which I am ever so grateful for.

Further, you've got to visualize the success criteria. What will it look like when you make headway on that big challenge you've identified-what will conquering the challenge look like. You need to be a specific as possible with the success criteria in order to move in that direction.

And, what will the learning path look like. What little steps day after day will lead to big, positive change in that area.

I'm excited to tackle this challenge and I look forward to the positive change it will bring. To see the promise in problems is to make good growth, the kind of growth that empowers your life and the life of others.