Friday, November 03, 2017

Do It Better

This morning I'm thinking about how to teach better. What do I need to do?

Stay Ahead
This week's two-day unexpected school closure had a domino effect with respect to paperwork and administrative tasks. As much as possible you have to stay ahead with all  administrative tasks so that you're prepared for error. As noted before, teachers have to spend about 30 minutes a day during the standard working hours on administrative tasks. This is not after school work since you have to interface with office staff and organizations who typically work 9-5. This pushes the curriculum work to before and after school hours.

Understand Schedules, Policies, and Protocols
Yesterday's snafu was due to confusion related to schedules, policies, and protocols. I've reached out for specific information related to this so that I understand the schedules, protocol, and policies specifically. Fortunately teachers have a contract that outlines most of our working conditions, and I have to rely on that mostly when it comes to understanding expectations and completing administrative tasks on time with care and precision.

When Problems Occur, Make Change
Our team was relying on an email list that we've come to learn is inaccurate. We didn't know that, but now that we do, we'll have to make the time to update our grade-level email list.

You Can't Be Superhuman
Last year I had an awesome teaching assistant in the class. I could do more with students. This year it's just 25 students and me. I simply can't morph myself into two people. Some of the problems I've faced this year have to do with trying to keep up with last year's pace without the same support. Like any teacher, I'm not superhuman and I have to change my expectations due to the change in support.

Stay Away from Sources of No Support and Undue Challenge
You won't find support in every corner of your work, and it's important to mostly steer clear of those sources of contempt and no support. That only confounds your days.

Focus on Children and Families
The job is to teach children well. As much as you can keep your focus on the students and the families, the better you will do. Sometimes that's difficult because teachers rely on many to do their work, but as much as possible keep the focus on the essence of the job.