Monday, September 04, 2017

Work with Empathy

Recently I had the chance to collaborate with an individual who could not do the work. This person's personal plate was filled to the brim, and there simply was no time or energy left for the collaborative project. My first reaction was to be disappointed--Why can't my friend help me out with this, I wondered. How can I do this on my own, I worried.

In our lives, we'll all find ourselves at one time or another in a place where we can't follow through, contribute, or get the job done. Life has a way of sending us challenges we don't expect, and when those challenges arise, we have to quickly prioritize and make due with the circumstances at hand.

So as I think of this situation, I recognize that I have to have compassion for my friend. I have to understand that this person at this time simply can't help out--this person's life has other priorities. I also have to recognize that there are many others who can help out, and are willing and ready to do that.

It's easy to have empathy for those we serve as we don't expect them to do the preparation and leadership work we do to serve and lead them, but it's more difficult to recognize that we sometimes have to have empathy for those who serve with us--those who we expect to be a source of support, strength, and compassion. Sometimes our friends and comrades don't have what we expect them to have when it comes to the good living and good work we need to do. We'll have our turn in that position now and again too.

So as I start the school year, I want to make sure I'm empathetic at all levels of my work and practice, and do what I can, when I can to forward a positive, successful school year. Onward.