Monday, September 04, 2017

Solving the Wrong Problem

I recently observed a number of efforts put into place to solve a problem. However, it seems to me that the efforts may be directed at the wrong problem.

I really enjoyed reading the research in the book, Intentional Interruption, which maintains that for most problems, there's not enough analysis done, and that's why the problems are rarely solved. People are working hard to solve the wrong problem.

In the problem I'm thinking about, there are some obvious attributes that would make you think that you can easily identify the problem, however, if you look deeper, the problem is much bigger and more complex. It's not a simple fix, but it's certainly a doable fix if people are willing to really dig in and collaborate with analysis, debate, good process, and ultimately a series of solution, reflect, revise, solution. But for many, that's too much work, and it's much easier to just point fingers at the problem's obvious elements.

What's a teacher to do?

I'll continue to work towards advocacy for better process, analysis, and depth with regard to progress and problem solving. I'll look for ways where I can model that, and where I can grow my skill in this regard. Mostly, I'm able to do that close to my classroom, neighborhood, and home.

How often do you engage in collaborative problem solving with good analysis and process? What are the outcomes of worthy efforts like that? Why does this matter?