Thursday, September 21, 2017

Thinking About Learners; What They Need and Desire

I'm pondering about the many learners in my midst and what they need.

As I think about these learners, young and old, there are some thoughts that stand out.

First these learners want to be encouraged, not discouraged. With a strengths-based mindset and model of teaching and learning, we can always begin with the strengths.

Next, these learners need to know how to learn, and they can learn this with good introductions to tools, mentors, strategies, and spaces that will develop their teaching and learning.

These learners want to be celebrated and congratulated from time to time for their extraordinary efforts. The response does not have to be great to be significant, but positive responses go a long way when it comes to noticing learners' good endeavor.

The learners profit from good routines, time to talk, and time to let it all sink in too.

I really like working with learners. I like helping them to find their way amongst all the choices, dreams, and hopes that exist. I see tremendous potential in each learner I work with, and I'm often amazed by what they do and where they're headed. That's a strong suit of the teaching profession.