Friday, September 22, 2017

New Routines and Cranky Kids

I was cranky last night, and I figured out that it had a lot to do with the fact that I'm sharing a car now when last year I had a car all to myself. It also has to do with a few news reports that hit home and were worrisome.

As I think about this crankiness, first, I recognize the first is a problem of privilege, so there's no reason to feel sorry for myself, and this may be the way a lot of my students feel as they adjust to new schedules in the school year. The worst part of sharing the car is that I have to adjust a lot of routines which take time and thought. Last year, my car was essentially the office I don't have. I could safely keep a number of school supplies in the car, and get them as needed. This year, I've lost my "office." Not a big deal, but a lesson nonetheless that new routines take time and can make people cranky, and we need to be mindful of that as our young students adjust to new routines in the school year.

Secondly, in the news last night there were a number of worrisome reports--reports about health, reports about empathy and care for one another, and reports about environmental/social needs. With a government that now has to contend with an erratic and seemingly warmongering President everyday, it is challenging to see how many issues have risen and how many issues our government leaders have to deal with. Also, some of the news reports, spelled needed changes for my family, and our commitments since what once seemed right and good, science and study is now showing to be less right and good creating a need for change. Students too watch the news. They see the worrisome and scary reports too. Like no other time, the news is a delicate topic in elementary classrooms since much of what is reported goes against our basic school principles and rules.

As I always write, the key is a good routine with thoughtful change and response. I will be thinking about that today as I coach my students and own children forward.