- Move-up meeting, letter, supply list, and summer study opportunities
- Professional study and preparation for the school year ahead
- Team meeting to plan year, book field studies
- Classroom preparation, initial plans and prep
- Student/Family Orientation Event (I'd like to include this as part of our teaching/learning plans)
- Identity/Team/Learning Community Focus: Who are you? Who is the learning team? How can we optimize who we are and what we do to learn successfully together?
- Assessment: What do we know individually/collectively and what goals do we have for the teaching/learning year.
- Starting showcase portfolios.
- Team Building Activities: Global Read Aloud, Global Cardboard Challenge, Team Protocols Schedule, and Routine, Notecard challenge, spaghetti-marshmallow challenge
- Team Building Field Study: Gillette?
- Focus on Earth Friendly Classroom/Learning Community, Composting Focus
- Family-student-teacher conferences: Sharing initial assessments, projects, showcase portfolios, and creating goals.
- Content/skill/concept learning units begin in earnest in each curriculum area. (Math Unit Plan)
- RTI begins
- Earth/Space Studies: McAuliffe Challenger Center Field Studies
- Field Study: Maya, Incas, Aztecs: Harvard Natural History Museum
- Midyear assessments, new goal setting
- Report cards, showcase portfolio updates
- Skills and Stamina Focus in preparation for spring tests
- Parent-Student-Teacher conferences
April Break - June
- State tests
- Fifth Grade Play
- Biography Project
- STEAM/Naturalist Focus
- STEAM Projects
- Garden/Compost Work
- Naturalist Field Study
- Visiting Naturalist Experts
- Spadefoot Toads