Saturday, February 11, 2017

Step Up or Not?

It's always difficult for me to understand when people go along even if an issue is unjust or unfair. Yet, you can't fight all battles and as a friend remarked, some just don't like conflict and avoid it as much as possible.

What people don't realize is that when they go along with unjust and unfair acts, they perpetuate injustice. One small injustice on top of another results in big injustice and less good environments.

Yet when you speak up too much, no one listens.

As I think about his, I remember an incident way back in my history. I remember thinking, ""Why do I have to know this is wrong while so many around me are unaware of it." I felt that great responsibility related to understanding the gravity of a situation of the time. I could see far beyond the moment and how what was happening could potentially have a negative effect on the people I was with.

Although in a situation that occurred recently, I went home amiss at words I heard--a clear injustice I thought. I spoke up, and then another person spoke up, and then the injustice was revealed and remedied. I'm happy that I spoke up even though my words were initially met with anger fro m others. I'm happy that I spoke up because if people had stayed silent that injustice would prevail right now and that injustice would tear at the justice and fairness that affects many in my midst. It was the right thing to speak up, and it was right of others to speak up too. I have never regretted speaking up.

We need to find ways to stand up for and support the good efforts and actions around us. We have to look deeply at issues and separate the good from the not so good in order to do what is right. We have to be cognizant of our own shortcomings too in this regard and work against efforts that are not forward moving.

I've just spent the last 24 hours (with the exception of sleep) digging deep into an issue that challenges just, right process with regard to teaching children well. As with most issues of this kind it arose quickly and unexpectedly. I've spoken up. I've asked a lot of questions. I've made decisions about how I'll ethically follow the rules set.

My intent is to teach well and do what I can for the families, children, and colleagues I serve. I will continue to work with that aim in mind and do what I can to forward my efforts in that regard. Onward.