Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Princeton Crime: Unimagineable

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”   ― Mahatma Gandhi

I keep thinking of that young girl who lost her life in Princeton and her loving family members.

Princeton is a beautiful town, one that I have visited time and again throughout my life to ski, ride my bike, and hike Mt. Wachusett. Recently a resident told me that everything is great about the town except for the fact that the WIFI doesn't work too well.

Then I read about this young girl who appears to have been a girl that gave life her best, and a young woman well loved.

As I looked online at the area where she was found, I could imagine that once abducted, there was no where for her to go--no safety to be found.

My mind wanders to other young women who have met a similar fate, particularly the young teacher from Massachusetts whose generosity to help a student after school led to her violent death, a beloved young woman in my own area, and the recent death of the young jogger in New York.

Sadly young woman and men often take risks when they venture out on their own in unpopulated areas. As much as I believe that most people are good, I know that there are sick people in this world who prey on others. We have to be watchful in our communities and urge young people not to go off on their own, yet I was young once and I rode my bike out to Princeton on my own and ran and hiked by myself too. Still we read about young people often who venture out on their own and face danger.

There's nothing good or right about this young woman's death. My heart aches for her loved ones--this is unfair and unjust. She had every right to live. I hope they find the perpetrator soon. In the meantime, I will pray for those who ache in the face of this violent loss.