Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Negativity is a Barrier; Positivity is an Open Door


We can all become negative now and then, and we may not realize what a barrier negativity is.

I was reminded of this recently when I faced a situation where nothing I did was good enough. That negativity created a barrier--barrier of will, barrier of outreach, barrier of support.

On the other hand, authentic positivity opens the door to what's possible--an open door of opportunity, camaraderie, care, and development.

Inauthentic positivity, on the other hand, is no better than negativity. An untrue positive comment or action is easy to see through.

Open, welcoming, and accepting attitudes invite positive relationships, collaboration, and care. This is the kind of attitude I want to bring to the new school year as I know this is an attitude that supports the best of what students, colleagues, families, and others are able to experience in the school setting.