Math Teaching Learning
- Review all data, surveys, standards, and efforts.
- Understand well the changes coming with regard to systemwide efforts and State standards.
- Apply Boaler's research in Mathematical Mindsets to the program
- Decide on data sets and meaningful content for math "floor to ceiling" explorations. Possibly integrate this work with environmental, naturalist efforts.
- Plan start-of-year infographic project that includes initial math concepts/standards and include this as part of "How Do Numbers Define You" curriculum.
- Build coding aspect of place value unit using SCRATCH.
- Update SRSD Problem Solving and Examine Landmark Number Units.
- Integrate math standards to STEAM explorations in meaningful ways.
- Continued user-friendly organization and creation.
- Carry out explorations with a focus on TEAM roles and collaboration.
- Integrate with field studies, ELA efforts, read alouds and more.
- Review this year's process with teaching team
- Include an online portfolio next year using Google sites
Social Competency and Learning-to-Learn
- Review this curriculum
- Build into curriculum units when possible
- Decide on most important overall topics, but remain open to meeting the needs/interests students present in this regard.
- Perhaps add a brain science unit similar to one used at a sister school.
- Think about ways our grade-level team can support this school-wide effort. Where does it fit into our curriculum? Or do we leave it as the organic process it has been this year?
- Begin with infographic project at start of the year.
- Work with colleagues to identify other start-of-the-year efforts to build classroom community.
- Look for ways to build this in school wide (The Signage Project) and at the grade-level including another trip to The African American History Museum.
There are countless ways to build and develop our programs of study and ways of teaching/learning today. The key is to know the students well, understand the expectations presented, and chart the course with the teaching/learning team.