Sunday, December 06, 2015

This Week's Goal: Don't Get Exhausted!

This was one of those weekends that was full of exhaustion. I pushed so much from Monday to Friday that by the time Saturday rolled around I had nothing left and even today I'm trying to catch up.

It was a great week overall of teaching and professional learning, but I had nothing left for family and friends by Saturday morning. I think that might be a somewhat common occurrence for teachers and other professionals.

So what's the best way to pace yourself beginning on Sunday morning so you do a great job all week and still have time for family and friends on the weekend.

I think the first step is to plot out the week on Sunday so no day is overbooked and you have the time you need to complete the tasks at hand.

The second step is to stick to a good routine that includes a good night's sleep.

Third, use those planning periods and extra time strategically so that you get things done. I have a colleague who does that well and I've been watching her to learn about this. She doesn't get involved in a lot of side talk or extraneous efforts. Instead she stays very focused on the good work she does for and with students.

Organization helps too. When you know where everything is, you don't spend a lot of time hunting things down.

One of my goals for the new year is to take back my weekends, so I'll consider this week a trial run.