Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Value of Short Term Goals and Focus

Sometimes I wonder if a child would gain more if he/she had an intense short term intervention rather than a half hour-a-week intervention all year.

For example, say a child is trying to grasp his/her math facts. Would he/she be better served by meeting one-to-one with a teacher every day for an one for six weeks instead of math help all year? I remember a while back there was a focus on a reading intervention program, Reading Recovery, that was an intense one-to-one short term process.

As I think about this, I'm thinking of my own learning goals as well. What goals profit from a regular daily or weekly emphasis and what goals profit from a short term intense focus?

I'm going to play around with this notion in the next couple of weeks as I try to make some good gains in a goal area that continues to allude me. I want to see the kind of affect that short term intensity has on a specific goal.

During the school year I'll often apply this notion as we dig deep into a concept, creative project, or idea. I know there's value to this approach, but now I want to take a deeper look through my own experience.