Saturday, March 07, 2015

Today's #satchat Summary: Depth

If I had to use one word to describe this morning's #satchat it would be depth.  That's my synthesis of the tweets.

As we navigate today's pedagogy, tools, needs, and interests, I believe that the need to develop and relay depth is imperative.

In a sea of so many ideas and tools, one has to know how to dig deep to unearth the most important information and grow the most beneficial, desired ideas.

As an educator how do I employ this depth into the teaching/learning path?

First, I have to clearly identify the key concepts, themes, standards, or strategies I want to teach. I will identify this information in the following ways:
  • Observing and listening to students' needs, interests, and questions.
  • Studying and understanding local, State, and national standards.
  • Staying up to date with the news, and local, national, and global contexts. 
I will make the key information explicit in multiple ways.

Students and I will discuss how we can learn the idea, skill, knowledge, and/or strategy.

We'll create a learning path and travel the path together. We'll stop to reflect, assess, and revise as needed. Then in the end we'll share our learning visibly and make final reflections. 

I'll slow it down to create more depth and provide multiple paths of travel in this regard.

In the end, the goal is to facilitate student confidence, voice, and skill when it comes to knowing how to learn with depth, meaning, and purpose. 

Thanks once again for spurring thought and learning, #satchat. I appreciate.