Saturday, March 07, 2015

Prepping for the Teaching and Learning Conference 2015

Next weekend, I’ll attend the Teaching and Learning Conference 2015. I’m looking forward to learning a lot. As I looked over the wonderful list of speakers and presentations, I chose the presentations below, presentations that will help me to develop my classroom practice with a focus on teaching well. I am looking forward to developing my knowledge in the areas of math education, deeper learning, global studies, social studies related to the National Parks, and teaching/learning in general.


Making a plan for big conferences like these helps one to make the most of your time as well as to tailor the experience to current needs and interests. I invited colleagues and system leadership to add their questions and thoughts to another version of the chart below. I'll use my questions and their thoughts to lead my listening during the event. I'm also looking forward to the unexpected learning, new people that I'll meet, and spending time in the great city of Washington, DC.

Presentations
Questions/Notes
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 10.56.39 AM.png
How can I deepen learning/teaching to best support students’ experience of school and successful learning?
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 10.58.50 AM.png
What are the national trends and priorities with regard to teaching and learning today?
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.03.18 AM.png
In what ways can I develop my ability to teach math well?
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.55.17 AM.png
In what ways may I employ game based learning to develop students’ math knowledge and skill in engaging and empowering ways?
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.05.40 AM.png
How may I support colleagues and teacher interns in ways that matter?
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.09.31 AM.png
How can I support the education of my African American students with strength? In what ways can we change our teaching/learning ecosystem to better support these students?
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.10.15 AM.png
How can I help students to understand, respect, and employ their civil rights and responsibilities as well as the civil rights and responsibilities of others?  
Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 10.53.56 AM.png
What do I need to do to ensure that my students are literate for a digital age?
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.06.33 AM.png
How can I hone my skills, craft, and teaching/learning efforts to better support students’ global citizenship skills and knowledge?
Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.20.59 AM.png
In what ways can I support and utilize the National Parks System to better teach children, learn, and recreate?
Is there a book on the list you’d like to read?