Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Computation: Responding to Assessment Results

“You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere, and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost. What I am looking for is not out there, it is in me.” - Helen Keller


I assessed students' computation skill yesterday.

The results were much different than I anticipated given their daily work.

Yet, the results helped me to plan a responsive path of teaching

The few who demonstrated competency in all areas have reached "teacher" status and will be matched with a few students who have unique needs. They'll practice together.

Those who are close to competency will meet with me to shore up a few areas of need. I expect this group to learn quickly and move to competency and "teacher" status soon.

It's a matter of lots of practice right now to get the whole team to mastery. Practice that will include the following:
  • Explicit teaching
  • Video coaching
  • Peer coaching.
  • Online and off line practice.
  • Frequent formative assessment.
  • Encouragement and inspiration.
Once we pass through this initial competency step, we'll then embark on the next step which includes computation and problem solving.