Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Prepping for Instructional Rounds

Today, an education consultant gave a thoughtful, logical, and meaningful presentation on our upcoming instructional rounds. What I liked about the focus of this presentation and the upcoming rounds is that it's rooted in student learning--the very reason we teach.

I like to use any new initiative as a way to push teaching forward, so the students and I will prepare for these rounds using the following questions:
  • What are the best ways to learn and practice?
  • How can I (the teacher) help you learn?
  • How can we change the room to better facilitate learning?
  • The goal of school is learning--how can we make learning better?
  • I am teaching learners--how do we best learn as a team and as individuals?
  • Learning is a team effort, how can we make sure that we're all helping out?
Our rounds will focus on a "problem or issue of practice" determined by the staff. As we talked about potential questions today, questions related to issues of differentiation, grit, mindset and more, I realized that my colleagues are sure to come up with a great question.

In the meantime, I'll work with the learners to boost our classroom climate, environment, learning mindsets, and actions.