Tuesday, November 04, 2014

An Open Mind to Instructional Rounds

I witnessed medical rounds with depth a couple of years ago when my son returned from Africa with cerebral malaria. As I sat in the hospital room watching one group of doctors after another group come to witness a disease that readily causes death in so many places in the world, but is rare to New England, I learned a lot about medicine, current medical models, and cerebral malaria.

During that multi-day episode, an episode that resulted in a happy outcome thanks to the brilliance and teamwork of the medical staff, I thought a lot about medical systems and educational systems. I liked the way the hospital staff worked as a team to cure my son, and I liked the way they shared knowledge.

On the other hand, when groups of administrators have entered my classroom in the past to watch, I have not had that same sense of learning, engagement, or empowerment. Instead, I have felt a lot like an animal in the zoo. As they watch, and I teach, I think, They are only seeing a snippet of this learning experience. They have no idea about the research that's gone into this lesson. They don't know why I'm doing what I'm doing. They don't know my learners, and they only have a small idea of the overall goals of this lesson. 

Typically, they have stood at the back of the room watching as I teach. There's been no pre-talk, follow-up discussion, or response. It's been a cold event leaving me feeling low--low in status, low in confidence, and low in value.

Now, our system is taking a more structured approach to instructional rounds. How will this differ? Who does it serve? How will it affect me as a learner and educator? How will I feel after the rounds--will this approach empower and engage me and my students in ways that move us forward?

I know that the consultant is well educated and experienced. I know the choosers of this new approach are bright, talented, and invested in growing our school system in dynamic ways. Hence, today as I listen to the instructional rounds to come, I'll listen with an open mind and attitude.

Have you experienced instructional rounds in positive, forward-moving ways? If so, how were the rounds done, and what was the result of the event with respect to new learning and better service to children? I look forward to your share.


Related Post
Learning at the Hospital

Afterward
The rounds were very time consuming for multiple educators and leaders. The takeaway for educators was affirmation, but little deep affect on teaching and learning. I remain reluctant to advocate for the use of walk-throughs as a single or even mostly used method of evaluating teachers. I think it's best to use a set of evaluative/study methods beginning with conversations with the educators about focus, goals, and effort. Review of learning/teaching outcomes with educators, and walk throughs now and then to get a broad brush view of the overall classroom atmosphere and effort. Walk throughs alone only portray a small fraction of what goes into teaching well.