Monday, November 03, 2014

An Eye on Those Who Face Challenge

A couple of weeks ago I went to the MassCUE conference. I learned a lot. Then at this week's PLC we discussed the challenged learner. A colleague brought up Steve Gross's MassCUE talk and shared a  powerful video about his work, research, and beliefs. Also, Mary Ann Reilly shared her list of books related to perseverance and inventing. I graded a host of math assessments too. This mix of actions and ideas led to this week's main focus: the student in need.

Yes, students in need are every week's focus, but this week, I have a schedule with few other demands, some extra support, a new unit, an updated classroom, and a fresh mindset to think deeply about children-at-risk, the ones who aren't meeting the standards or who might be unhappy during the day or in particular school arenas.

I'm using Gross's work to guide my lens. First, "snake brain," children in survival mode. Do I have any children like that--children who can't attend because they need more in order to feel safe?

Then "mammalian brain," those who are looking for positive relationships, connections, and a chance to belong? Do my at-risk students feel like they belong? Do they have some control over the situation? Do I make the time to talk to them about what they need and how I can help them? Do I make good use of the resources available to empower these students?

Gross notes that we have to make sure that we respond to and nurture "snake brain" and "mammalian brain" before we can move to "human brain" or the learning brain. Teachers know that's true as we see it every day, but the weeks are filled with many tasks and it's rare to have that chance to simply focus on the outliers in your class, the ones who struggle for emotional, behavioral, academic, health, and other reasons.

To set the stage for this hyperfocus on students in need, I'll start by structuring the learning a bit more this week. My lessons will include about a 5-15 minute introduction with some inspiration and a menu leading from simple, approachable tasks to more enriching tasks for those who are ready. I'll lessen the choice as it's the at-risk students who have more trouble with choice, and those whose academics are grade-level or beyond won't be harmed by a week of greater structure though it's not their favorite way to learn.

I'll observe, listen, and respond to what my most challenged learners need. When I'm not sure, I'll respond with the words, "I'm not exactly sure what you need to learn this well. What can I do for you? What might help?"

At the base of all this, I'll hold and communicate this statement, "As your teacher, the best gift I can give you is a good education, and I'll do everything I can to help you learn in successful, engaging, and empowering ways."

I have an ongoing conversation with children about teaching well. I often reflect aloud about the success or challenge a lesson holds. I might say, "Wow, this learning experience really worked--everyone was on task and learning with enthusiasm," or I might say, "I didn't do a good job with this--the lesson was too confusing and the materials were disorganized, I've got some homework to do to make this learning better for you."  Recently when a young boy was disgruntled I said, "I'm just learning to teach you, you've got to help me do it well. I won't be perfect at it every time."  He understood.

When we work to lift up our most challenged students, everyone gains. Those students who have the fire inside them or the great sense of empathy and compassion learned from early struggle have the potential to make powerful differences in the lives of others. As their teachers, we have the chance to make a difference too, and making that difference takes keen observation, trying out a number of strategies, collaborating with students and colleagues, positivity, and an "I won't give up" attitude.

For me, this is easier than for other educators. I work in a community with almost 100% family support--a community where most families have what they need to support their children well, and a community where those without young children continually vote to support schools and the wider community. I know there are teachers who work in communities where many families struggle and therefore many children feel distanced from needed supports. To help those educators, we need to lessen their numbers and increase their supports with regard to the teaching environment, skilled personnel, and worthy resources.

I wonder where this focus will take me this week. I like starting the week with a positive challenge. Onward.