Sunday, November 02, 2014

Khan Academy Fan

Yes, I'm a Khan Academy fan.

As the CCSS steps us into deeper, more meaningful math teaching, Khan is my coach.

For example, tonight as I planned students' place value unit, I studied using all the Khan Academy 5th grade place value activities. The activities are basically learning paths that have videos and online exercises to help students young and old grasp the material.

I could easily understand the focus and learning related to each exercise, and will replicate many of the same exercises and learning paths in my classroom using a number of activities. I have also invited all of my students to study with Khan Academy.

I check their Khan Academy points, areas of strength, and areas of need. The more I get used to the platform, the better I can use the intricate reports to personalize and differentiate classroom teaching.

Khan is branching out to other subjects as well. Many of my students this year and last use Khan to learn to program. My high school son used the platform to study and learn about cell diffusion because he found Khan's approach easier to understand than the text book.

Most of all, I'm excited that families and students have a place to go to if they don't get the homework or need help. In the old days when that happened, you depended on the education and availability of your parents, relatives, neighbors, and if you were wealthy perhaps you had a tutor or expert available. But today, anyone with Internet access (which is almost everyone because every public library has a computer) can get the help and resources they need to learn.

Now learning depends mostly on the following:
  • Time
  • Attention
  • Apt Strategy
  • The Choice to Learn
It's definitely a new age of learning, and I'm happy I'm here for the adventure.