Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Thank You Google! Improved Student Writing

The writing process is greatly improved thanks to the terrific, collaborative tools that Google offers learners. My students were assigned an independent narrative this week. They were given an outline of the process, and left to craft a story about a small moment in their life.

The stories having been poring in via Google, and I've been able to read, comment, and add notes/questions to the text.  In a sense, a writing conversation and online coaching session has begun between student and teacher.  In the quiet of my home, I'm able to attend to each child's work with care. And as I think about, it would be easy to add video/audio comments as well if needed. I'll try that soon.

Similarly, I set up writing threads on a Google doc or presentation with a model and assignment for discrete writing practice and foci.  Students add their paragraph or short story to the class-wide collective document.  I review and make notes. The plus with this approach is that students have the chance to read and learn from each other's work. There's always the option to write on a private document if for any reason a child doesn't want to share at that time.

Lastly, through our Google homework doc, I'm able to add all links related to background information, helpful videos, copies of the assignment, and more to support student learning.  Also, in the "message board" section of the Google doc I'm able to add coaching comments and news for the entire class.

Google collaborative documents has enriched the writing process. The more I learn to navigate these tools to invigorate students' writing interest, skill, and fluency, the better students will do.  Thanks Google!

p.s. I don't miss bringing home a large, heavy bag of student notebooks every night--what a relief!