Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Math Facts Fluency: Coach Yourself

This morning my students will face their current math facts fluency/accuracy challenge with a number of actions, questions, and reflections.

I looked over their latest achievement,  The class goal is 50 facts in 3 minutes (w/3 or less errors) or 100 facts in 5 minutes (w/3 or less errors).  I set up the tests on the wonderful, versatile online program, That Quiz. I'm able to track students' progress and personalize tests/practice sessions for students easily.

Today students will begin by taking the test at the level they are at.  I set up a table on a Google doc and simply dragged the personalized test links to the table so students will open up the doc w/their Macbooks, look for their name, and take their test.

Next students will print and evaluate their progress with the following questions:
1. What have I accomplished so far?
2. Where are my areas of challenge? Specific facts, speed, accuracy, need for next challenge? other?
3. What can I do and what do I need to meet that challenge?

After students assess, they'll meet with me, their teacher/coach, and we'll work together to set the next steps.

The fact/fluency ladder as I call it has the following progression at fourth grade:

1. add facts
2. subtraction facts.
3. add/subtraction facts together.
4. multiplication facts.
5. division facts.
6. multiplication/division facts together.
7. add, subtract, multiplication, division facts together.
8. simple algebraic facts - 100 in 5 minutes or less (3 or less errors)
9. after this the ladder moves up with more and more complex algebraic equations for fast fluency as well as exponents, and other math skills that profit from apt fluency/accuracy.

This approach meets the deeper learning criteria as it helps students assess and set their own goals, strategies, and needs.  The teacher acts as coach/mentor.  While these skills can be seen as "traditional," the truth remains that the knowledge supports later math learning and builds brain flexibility and fluency with numeracy.

If you use a similar or different process to build this common core skill (fact fluency up to 12 X 12), let me know.  I look forward to today's lesson and learning as I'll likely make some revision/enrichment after I meet with students.