Sunday, September 01, 2013

Wading in the Beta Testing Waters. . .Thoughts?

I'm wading in beta testing waters.  It's new territory for me.  I'm bringing my "children-first" mindset and focus with me.

As I play with UClass.org*, create lessons, and utilize their resources, I'm learning a lot.  I'm learning about how a start-up works. I'm learning more about new tech resources and tools.  I'm getting lots of great lesson ideas and tools with which to teach children well.

I'm contributing too. I'm contributing my ideas and knowledge related to classroom teaching, tech, and learning.  I'm contributing my systems knowledge related to schools and educators.

I'm reaching out with questions, ideas, and concerns. My PLN is pushing back too. They're challenging me related to concepts of transparency, free sharing, integration of multiple tools, rephrasing traditional ideas, and issues related to making money off of teachers. This is important push back, thoughts and questions I'm taking seriously as I wade in beta testing waters.

If you've read my past posts, I'm a believer that public/private have to work together with regard to education, and I'm a believer that the public aspect of education has to keep the focus on what's best for all children ensuring that the private doesn't use children and education systems for gain first, education second.  In this regard though, I'm also a believer that we can't block the private as there are many good ideas there--ideas worthy of discussion, trial, and use.

As I wade these waters, I'm open to your thoughts, links, ideas, and considerations.  Have you waded in the beta testing waters?  What are your personal protocols and ethical considerations as you wade in these waters?  How do use these "waters" to serve your students well and grow your professional practice?

I am gaining considerable learning and focus working with UClass.  The challenge of working with this company is pushing me to create better lessons, focus on the standards, and learn a lot.  I'll continue this effort.  I also gain considerable learning and focus working and sharing freely with my PLN via Twitter, blogs, and conferences.  I'll continue this too.

I look forward to continued debate and learning in this regard as I wade these uncharted waters.  Let me learn from your wisdom and experience.

Related Posts/Comments
Beta Tester? 

"In my opinion, the United States has to safeguard the ideal and practice to teach every child well, yet public education also has to open its doors to the many, wonderful innovations that exist.  I believe the best interests of our country is the continued intersection of public and private ideas, innovation and action with regard to education with a strong value and commitment to providing conditions of excellence, and respect for humanity, at all levels of the work." - Maureen Devlin, Intersection Events Takeaways


*UClass is paying me a small stipend to participate in their start-up.