Monday, August 12, 2013

More About Teacher As Coach

Can you separate yourself from the many, many issues and events that surround and infiltrate education to focus primarily on the children in your midst?

The answer should be yes and no.

Yes, because the only way to reach the goals of truly teaching and coaching children well is to devote time and effort in that regard. Yet, if the systems and speak around us don't support our efforts, then we have to get involved, work for change, and collaborate with colleagues and others to forward our efforts.

This push-pull activity in education challenges me as I think about the start of the school year. How will I, in a sense, divorce myself from the politics, systematic issues, and debate in the edusphere to put students center stage?

As I've mentioned in the past, patterns are the best course of action--daily patterns of care and attention to individual children and the whole class.

The other strategy that works well is putting students' first in every decision, conversation, and effort. I'm placing this image at the top of my binder to remind me of that.

Then, keeping the list of optimal coaching behaviors nearby--both on my binder back cover and the wall behind the coaching table.

And, reserving speak for moments that matter, and listening to the ideas, strategies, and questions of others--we need each other in education as no teacher can be or do all things.

Also, finding the quiet time in the day to write, reflect, relax, and then making time for friends, family, and recreation. This will feed the energy you need to coach and teach well each day.

If you're making your year's goal similar to mine--the movement from teacher to child coach, let me know the specific activities and thoughts that are leading your efforts.  I'm interested.