Saturday, August 10, 2013

Learning/Teaching Values

What are your values with regard to learning and teaching?

Similar to most educators, I have areas of strength and challenge when it comes to my professional work.  And with that in mind, I want to express my learning/teaching values prior to the start of the year.

If I've missed any important thoughts, please let me know.
  • I will build and support a children-first practice.
  • I will seek to serve students and their families with effort, compassion, and care.
  • I will collaborate with colleagues, and seek to identify the best ways to collaborate to serve students well.
  • I will think carefully about practice, and make well-informed, research-based, student-centered decisions.
  • I will continue to share questions, ideas, and craft, and look forward to sharing with my in-house and online PLN.
  • I will share, debate, and disagree with respect, and I will share new ideas and thoughts if I feel that my words will positively impact the programs and efforts for children.
  • If I have an issue with a practice or professional, I'll speak to the individuals involved first.  If the issue persists and it affects students in a negative way, I'll work towards change in the ways that I'm able. 
  • I will continue to try to meet State and local standards, students' interests, needs, and passions, and new research in the work I do. I'll provide a blended program with tried-and-true traditional efforts as well as innovative, new venues. 
  • I will make time for recreation and personal time because I know that "all work and no play" creates dull teachers. 
  • I'll respect the fact that there is no one way to teach well, and that we all bring different gifts to the education table. In that respect, I'll work to share the gifts I bring, and learn from the gifts and perspectives of others.
  • I will make the time to get to know my grade-level team and students well. 
  • I will continue to ask of myself what I ask of students, a life of steady, rich learning activities and interactions that include risk taking, persistence, goal setting, reflection, and assessment. 
Schools are busy, complex webs of endeavor. Starting the school year with your values upfront helps to navigate that complexity in order to teach children well.

What are your values?  Where are you headed on the education path?  How will your values lead your work with confidence, care, and success this year?