Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What Does it Mean to Teach Well?

TeachFocus is a website created to support educators in their goals related
related to teaching ALL students with strength, focus, and care. 
Teaching Well is a topic readily discussed throughout our culture. What does it mean to teach well? What makes a good teacher? Which teachers are most effective? How do we prepare top-notch teachers?

In our culture, the teaching profession has not always been met with respect or seriousness. Sayings such as "those who can, do, and those who can't, teach" support a negative notion of our profession.

Many in recent times have been trying to lift the profession up in numerous ways, ways that have been met with a myriad of responses. We hear the strong voices of Bill Gates, Diane Ravitch, union leaders, politicians, and more as we navigate our profession, and look for the best ways to move forward as individual educators, school systems, unions, and professional organizations.

What are the attributes of excellence when it comes to teaching well? How do we develop and nurture those attributes so that we continue to create a responsive, students-first, education system of high standards, student success, and meaningful contribution?

I care about this question for many reasons:
  • First, I want to teach well. After all, my clients are children and they hold the key to the future, hence I want to make sure that I do this job with strength and focus. It matters to me that I grow and develop as a successful educator.  
  • Next, I believe that education makes a difference in the lives of individuals and the community. Well educated individuals have greater confidence, choice, and skill--they have what it takes to contribute well to our world. 
  • Also, a good education provides a path to solving problems that now hinder our ability to live the best possible lives. Well-educated individuals in the future may solve problems like cancer, pollution, the need for clean energy, poverty, hunger, and more. 
  • Educated individuals may also enhance and enrich our lives with better urban, suburban, and rural design, environmental protection, magnificent music, inspiring literature, life-changing invention, and healthy, wonderful foods and recipes.  
  • An educated people have the the potential to be a more peaceful people too since many (not all) of our conflicts arise from ignorance related to cultural diversity, religious history, geography, and human potential.  
I care about education because education makes a difference to individuals, society, and the world.

With that in mind, let's get back tot the central question: What does it meant to teach well?

I've been thinking about that question almost daily for 28 years as my primary responsibility during those years has been to teach well. I haven't always hit the mark, and I've made mistakes, but I haven't given up, and I keep looking for wisdom, examples, and leadership in this regard.

Specifically, this year, I've analyzed the Massachusetts' New Educator Evaluation System with depth. As part of a system-wide pilot team, I analyzed the process and details at workshops, with colleagues, and on my own. Then this summer I decided to tackle the specific elements that make up the system's expectations with detail. I started this self-reflection journey on my blog, and most recently placed the information on a developing Google site, TeachFocus. In the days ahead I'll continue to add to and prune this site for my own reference and to share with interested teachers in Massachusetts and beyond. Essentially, this site turns the MA framework into actionable statements that educators may use to assess and grow their practice now and into the future. Educational leaders and evaluators may use this website too in an effort to work with, coach, evaluate, and lead educators towards best practice in an effort to serve all students well.

I welcome your comments, questions, and ideas as I continue to journey down this path, a path shared by invested educators all over the Globe--educators who see the promise of the future in children's eyes each day. Join me.

Update:
Please note that during the summer of 2014, I created a more user-friendly TeachFocus site named Summer Reflections: TeachFocus. I believe this site provides a useful guide for teachers in any school across the globe.