Saturday, April 11, 2015

Empower by Inviting Voice

A young girl offered a solution to a class problem.

In hindsight, I did not give her viewpoint enough time or attention.

That happens to me sometimes, and I know how it feels.

Next week,  I'm going to entertain her idea again by saying, "___, when you shared your idea last week, I was quick to tell you why I wasn't going to do that, but instead I should have let you explain your idea more. We could have taken your idea and looked at how I could implement it into our teaching/learning community. So today we're going to listen to you more and give everyone a chance to discuss that idea. That will make us all more successful at learning and teaching."

That will be good modeling. That will invite more voice. That will empower that student and others.

Always learning.


Addition
This short fable matches the intent of the post.