Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Where Do You Fit Into the Big Picture?

I read a number of system-wide newsletters this morning, and I was amazed at the depth and richness with regard to the quantity and quality of current programs, initiatives, and events.

There's no way that any one educator, parent, or student can be involved in all of this wonderful endeavor.

As a parent and an educator, I wondered where my child and I fit into the picture. What announced events would serve my child well, and also what events could he contribute to? And for me, where are my priorities and what can I do with regard to all of the initiatives posted?

As for my child, it's important to strike the balance between interest and need. He's busy, happy, and engaged. He's self selected a number of activities so for now I don't think he needs more.

For me, I'm still passionate and committed to deepening my understanding and work related to student learning. The question, How can I help every child become an engaged, empowered learner?, calls me, and that's where I'll continue to put most of my professional time and energy.

Dynamic systems are a mosaic of multiple intersecting programs, initiatives, and events. In systems like these there is something for everyone. To navigate these systems well it's important to stop now and then to think about where you fit into the big picture. It may be good to extend this conversation to colleagues and leaders as well to match your efforts and focus with system vision and goals.