Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Love to Teach, But Care Less for the Politics

I really love to teach. I love to help children learn, but the politics of schools like any organization can be difficult.

_______

How do we prepare ourselves and others for the political reality of groups and organizations?

----------

A colleague mentioned a concern to me. I said, "You should ask about that as that is an important concern."
    She replied, "But you're good at speaking up."
    I said, "You have to speak up too."

----------

On another occasion recently I was dismayed that many were not willing to speak up, yet I know one often pays a price when he or she speaks up. However, sometimes others pay a price when one doesn't speak up. Speaking up can be very difficult, and it takes political savvy to know when and how to speak up.

-----------

Connections and relationships impact politics in ways both positive and not so positive too.

________

Silence also impacts the work we do in ways both good and not so good.

________

Transparency is a powerful vehicle when used and not used. 

________

In schools, there can be challenging at times, but you find yourselves on a good path if you keep children center stage in the work that you do.