Saturday, August 01, 2020

Your voice is not welcome here

There are times and places in life where your voice is not welcome.

You may advocate and work to gain voice in those places in many ways, but there will eventually come a day when you decide that it's time to leave because if you stay, you will be relegated to work in an environment that does not represent your vision, voice, skill, or knowledge.

I remember a long time ago when I made a move because where I lived did not respect or represent my voice or values. I had to make a change--it was the right thing to do. 

When it is clear that your voice is not welcome, you must try to exert your voice before you leave. Let people know what you think. But, if after attempt after attempt to share your truth and ideas, and you are still ignored, then it is likely time to leave--time to find a new place.

I don't want to go to my grave with the knowledge that I did not stand up to ineffective, disrespectful, and harmful events. I don't want to be part of the problem, but instead I want to be part of the solution. 

That said, I am aware that none of us have the monopoly on what is truthful and good, and we all have to be open minded and ready to listen to others too. We generally arrive at what is right and good when we work together rather than working on our own.

Sometimes it's easier to turn a blind eye to what is right and good. Sometimes it's easier to just go along to get along rather than stand up for what is right and good. In the long run, however, it is worth the energy and time to do what is right, to stand up for what is right and good, that saves a lot of trouble and struggle later on.