Friday, June 19, 2020

School Year 2020-2021

Plans are complete for school year 2019-2020. There are a few lessons to go and a project to review and comment on, but in general, plans are complete and we're ready to give our full attention to students at the virtual meetings planned for the final four days of school.

Before I begin summer study and break, I want to focus in on my overarching goals for next year.

A Strong, Caring Team
Last year we worked hard to create a strong, caring team, and that work paid off when we had to transition to remote teaching and learning. Yesterday, we learned a lot about our upcoming fifth graders. As fourth grade teachers described the students' interests and needs, I thought of multiple ways that we can begin the year to affirm who students are, respond to their interests, and build a strong, caring community. That's our first priority--a priority we'll share with students and families at Move-Up Day on Tuesday.

Anti-Racist; Opportunity for All Education
I'll begin the summer by reading the book White Fragility and discussing the book with a number of friends and colleagues via Twitter, online meetings, and an off-line, more private vehicle for idea share. While I read the book, I will focus on how I can promote anti-racist opportunities for all within my home, school, and community. I am looking forward to the increased capacity this book will bring to my practice and the students, families, and colleagues I work with.

Math Education
As I read Boaler's book, Limitless Mind, this summer, I want to think about how I will empower the math program in ways that make it more meaningful and successful for students. I truly believe that a mathematical mindset sets students up for more accurate, efficient, and proactive ways to see the world, solve problems, and empower their own lives. When you lack mathematical skill, ability, and mindset, you are less able to navigate the modern world in beneficial ways. Our world needs good problem solvers, and to solve problems well, mathematics is essential. I will find ways to empower my students to enjoy math, find math valuable, and boost their mathematical skills, concept, and knowledge during fifth grade.

One big push at the start of the year will be a focus on making mathematical models in sketch books with colored pencils, rulers, and fine point pens. To translate complex math concepts into models is one powerful way to build mathematical skill and understanding.

I will also spend time teaching students how to use the many math-related "intelligent assistants" available online and offline. If you teach students how to access and use these tools, and then promote engaging contests and practice sessions, student will use the tools to their advantage and grow their abilities.

Further, we'll spend time grappling with complex, real-world math problems and projects so students can see how using a logical, math-based approach to problem solving and project work is a beneficial to living well and making a difference.

Science Education
It is likely that we'll focus our greater science efforts on the second semester since so many of our activities involve collaborative work. Rather than rewrite that work for singular study, I think we should wait and see what the winter holds related to the pandemic. A powerful math/ELA start to the year will help students obtain the basics, and then leave room for more science and social studies in the second term. At that time, we'll teach the subjects in whatever way works for the health and welfare of our students.