Friday, May 08, 2020

COVID-19 Teaching: Road Map

I took a few minutes to create a roadmap for the weeks of COVID-19 teaching and learning ahead. The road map includes the following elements:

Fraction Study
During virtual classes and at-home online/offline practice, students will continue to learn about fractions in multiple ways.

General Math Practice
Students have multiple recommended sites for grade-level, standards-based practice.

Geometry
In the next couple of weeks I'll explore a number of venues to for teaching geometry. I always love teaching geometry so this will be fun.

Math Assessment
On May 29th students will take their final math assessment of the year. We're working up to that assessment now. I'll use the data, in part, to analyze the efforts of the year and in the last few weeks.

Math Projects 
During the first week of June I'll introduce some enjoyable math projects, puzzles, and problem solving. Again, this will be of high interest to the students and me.

Biography Project
I'll continue to coach my small group with respect to their biography research projects--we're all learning a lot via this reading, research, writing, and conversations.

Global Cardboard Challenge
During the final weeks of the school year, I'll coach students STEAM mindsets and activity with the "Summer Fun" themed Global Cardboard Challenge.

End of Year Special Events and Celebrations
The final days of school will include report cards, biography presentation share, the fifth grade play premiere, move-up day, autographs, and a special kind of clap-out for our wonderful fifth graders.

Summer Reprieve and Planning
During the summer, I'll take some time to let all of this virtual teaching sink in, and then when I'm rested, I'll begin planning for next year starting with a positive infrastructure of teaching and learning that can respond to multiple scenarios in the fall.