Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Virtual Learning/Teaching: Implications for School Year 2020-2021

This virtual learning time has implications for school year 2020-2021.

Teach tech skills well
As we engage with students online, I find myself thankful for the lessons we forwarded related to online learning menus, virtual classroom websites, and independent learning mindsets and behaviors. All of these focus areas have proved helpful as students learn with us using a variety of "intelligent assistants." The implication for next year is to continue that focus with even greater depth as it is clear that some students did not learn those lessons with as much depth. This is evident in situations where a student is unable to manipulate the virtual world or display independent learning skills and efforts as well as others. I don't want to lose sight of this focus as I move on to next year.

Know thyself as a learner
I believe the fact that we shared almost all information with students with regard to their learning performance has been helpful in terms of their virtual learning. The more they understand their personal strengths, challenges, interests, and needs as learners, the better they are able to do in the classroom and in the virtual learning world.

Make it sticky
When learning activities are engaging, interesting, and meaningful, those learning activities are "sticky" which means they are memorable and enticing. To present a meaningful learning program while in school means that students are more eager to continue the learning at home when that's the only choice. So our efforts with regard to engagement are right on and that's where we need to continue and deepen our efforts.

I'm sure I'll continue this list as I continue to teach and learn in the virtual world during the month of April. I'm curious about what else I'll learn.