Wednesday, April 01, 2020

How to run a virtual math talk

I created this virtual "white board" using a Google doc. I created the fractions, then screenshot each one and inserted the in the document which allows me to click and move them around. I used the table feature to make matching fraction bars. Students were able to access the document and together we matched fractions to the correct models, and after that matched other equivalent fractions. 
For the past ten days or so, I have been learning to prepare and lead a virtual math talk. I offer what I've learned for any of you who are trying to do the same. I also welcome your suggestions, questions, and idea.


Choosing the topic
I have looked to multi-step MCAS problems, YouCubed activities, NCTM games, and multiple projects and math activities from the past to choose topics. Since my students were engaged in fraction study when school ended, I have chosen to focus all activities on fraction study.

Small Group Lessons
Google table is a great tool for making math models. This
model shows that 2/3 of the floor is a red and white
carpet that equals 9 square feet. Each cell equals
a 1/4 square foot area. 
At the advice of a parent, I've made these small-group lessons with 8-12 students in each lesson. I have grouped the students in multiple ways including similar skills, differentiated skills, availability, ability to use tech tools and more. I am experimenting with lots of different groups structures to see what works best.

I was able to use Google draw to show how we
"scoop count" to figure out the perimeter. We also
discussed how to use equations to figure out
the perimeter. 
Preparing the Lesson
I have set up each lesson on a Google doc or Google presentation. I found ways to make those documents and presentations interactive so that when I open up the share and editing privileges, students can partake in the lesson too. I use Google draw function when working on those Google "white boards" to demonstrate the lesson content, skill, and knowledge.

Each lesson includes models, numerical expressions, algebraic expressions, real world context, and extensions for children who want to continue the learning.

Two Teachers at Every Lesson
Typically each lesson has two educators--myself, the classroom teacher, and a teaching assistant, special educator, or another teacher. This is very helpful because the second teacher can monitor the chat, students involvement, and how the lesson is going. I recommend this.

Communicating the Lesson to Students
Our team has set up a virtual menu that students consult for their daily study. On the top of the chart we have a schedule. In the schedule, we list the links to Google Meetings as well as the lesson links. To prepare for the lesson, students open up the lesson link and look over the lesson. If possible, when interacting with the lesson students have two windows open--one is the lesson and one is the Google Meet.

The schedule looks like this. Students simply click Google Meet links and lesson links to take part in the lessons. 


Lesson Order
  1. I welcome students and ask if they have any questions.
  2. I remind students to have paper, pencils, and something to color with available.
  3. I ask students to have both the lesson screen and the Google Meet screen open at the same time if possible.
  4. I take attendance, by saying each name. Sometimes I list the names in a table and ask them their favorite color during the roll call and color in their name cell with their favorite color. 
  5. Then I introduce the lesson problem. It is a back-and-forth between the teachers and students after that as we discuss and solve each part of the multi-step problem or learning sequence. 
  6. Upon the completion of the lesson, I introduce the optional extension and make time for student questions.
  7. I end the lesson with positive statements about students' learning. 
  8. I ask all students to log off, and then I spend a few  minutes at the end of the lesson reviewing what worked and what could be better next time with the collaborating teacher. 
Problem Areas
  1. I am contacting families of students who are not attending the meetings to try to figure out why. So far that has been helpful and I have been able to get reluctant students to enter the meetings.
  2. I am finding better ways to engage the students in the lessons by reflecting on each lesson.
  3. Each lesson is 45-minutes long which seems just right for fifth graders. I try to plan the lessons so that I have a good amount of time between each lesson to review the lesson and do other follow-up/prep work. It takes about an hour to prepare for each lesson now as I get used to this venue. 
Positivity
We have had some great math talks. It is difficult to have talks like these in class since my class is typically filled with lots of students so this has been a positive aspect of the virtual math talks. Of course, a difficult part of this has been the fact that the virtual classroom is not as easy or rich as the real classroom with all the learning tools we typically have. 

I welcome your questions and suggestions as I move on with this. Trying out these virtual lessons has been both challenging and rewarding. I am learning a lot and hopefully the students are learning too. Onward.