Thursday, September 26, 2019

Looking forward; every step matters

I introduced students to a new concept in math today. Few had seen the concept before. It was interesting to see how the variety of students met this new learning. Some were eager to get started, others asked lots of questions, and still more treaded gently into the new ideas. That didn't surprise me. When new concepts are introduced, children meet the new learning in a variety of ways. Of course, I want to coach all students to have an open mind and willingness to try out new concepts without fear of making mistakes or getting it wrong. I'll work to teach that in the days ahead.

Later in the day I attended a thoughtful professional learning session. Sadly, I had to leave a little early since I picked up a virus that's been going around, one that results in lots of aches and pains, and surprisingly unlike other illnesses this one comes with some insomnia too.

Next week we'll spend time review the new concepts taught this week, putting together portfolios, reading and writing. Monday is a welcome day off from school, a good day to catch up. The start of school this year has been particularly busy for a myriad of reasons, but it seems like the schedule is starting to become a routine as we move the learning and teaching ahead.